Apparently it is a blogging kind of week for me. Gonna do a quick set of mini-reviews, thoughts on what I’ve been reading/watching, and then get back to revising work to post tomorrow for Thursday Poem Share!
- I’ve had a subscription to Yoga Journal before. Even one on my kindle which I didn’t really like, but I was gifted a new subscription. Yay! Nice first issue with some good articles including this quote from Kelly McGonigal, PhD and author of The Willpower Instict, “Any resolution you make (that is) motivated by shame is a fundamental rejection of what is true right now. It cannot work.” That is a really compelling quote that I said OF COURSE when I first read it, but I think it depends on how you see the world. Some people need that moment of shame before they will change. Thoughts?
- I also watched a (A)sexual, a documentary and what was most interesting to me about it was watching the LGBT communities reaction to people who said they were asexual. They were often kind of dismissive. Even in a marginalized community there are still some who can not see when they are marginalizing other people. Another thought provoking one.
- Speaking of magazines I finished another terrific issue of RATTLE which I subscribe to. I note it is also on Kindle now. Hmm. Maybe I should try sending a sample to see if I like it. As mentioned above, I haven’t had good luck reading magazines on edevices for some reason. Just doesn’t feel the same.
- A while back we also watched the documentary Everything or Nothing. I thought this was going to be more of a clip show about the Bond series since the newest film just came out, but it is actually quite interesting. The link will tell you more about it. I haven’t seen a lot of the classic Bond movies, but I enjoyed my brother talking about them on Facebook recently. They had picked up the box set and were going through and watching them all. Maybe someday.
- Speaking of classics. I went back and watched a few episodes of Classic Doctor Who on Netflix. They have limited footage of each of the doctors. Shame that not all of the episodes exist. One of my favorite student papers was one that argued which doctor was the best. I have to agree with their final premise that it is hard to say that your first doctor (the one you first watched) isn’t the best because they were your first.
- And since I’m finishing up with a sci-fi bent let’s throw in one more movie. I also watched the new Dredd movie off of VuDu. I actually liked the one that Stallone was in years ago as well although I’ve never read the comics. This movie plays off of many of the common current sci-fi tropes, but was still a good watch. Yes, it is really violent and a serious R rating. You have been warned
Well that just about empties out my review list, although I have a chapbook I’ll tell you about tomorrow, and maybe I’ll finish one of my Kindle novels tonight so we can discuss writing along with sharing our work. See you there!