Monday has rolled around again and darn if it isn’t almost the end of the month already!
- This week is one of the two weeks that my old MFA program is in session at Queens University of Charlotte. There are a lot of readings going on if you are interested in the whole schedule email me. Of note for me is a 5pm reading today with at least one poet reading. Faculty reading tomorrow night at 8:15pm. Student readings at 5pm on Thursday (there is a fiction writer I know reading then) and three poets I really enjoy who are reading at 5pm on Friday. These are just the readings I am going to and I skipped out on the faculty reading last night. Yeah, I stayed home and watched the series finale of LOST instead. Nerd alert!
- Friday has the potential to be a busy night because it is also the Green Rice Art Gallery open mike which I enjoy attending. It starts at 7pm. If Queens runs on time I might just be able to make both if I have like a granola bar for dinner
- I recently finished Cenfuegoes by Chris Deal. The author actually read at one of the open mikes I regularly attend and was giving a few copies of the book away. At only $5 not a bad one to pick up anyway as a quick read. Nice production values on the book although I really like having page numbers and this one doesn’t have them. I think Chris called this a flash fiction collection but it is hard to tell if these are poems, stories, vignettes? I ended up giving the collection a 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads because it is a decent first chapbook kind of collection but many of the pieces felt like they were just the start of stories but there are some terrific lines and individual pieces such as ”home” about bringing someone you are dating home for the holidays. Will be interested to see what other work Christ does in the future. I have some cousins with the last name Deal. I wonder if we are related…
- Recently finished another nice issue of the Tipton Poetry Journal. This was Issue 16 in which I have a poem and I join the lovely company of poets such as Anne Haines (see blog roll) Maria Bennett who opens this particular issue, as well as Thomas O’Dore and Lylanne Musselman whose “Resurrecting Poets in 2010″ might be my favorite poem in the short but so enjoyable journal. The poems starts with “If / he returned in 2010, // would / Frank O’hara write lunch poems // on / a laptop in Starbuck’s” etc
- For my final shout out I’d like to mention a writer I just published at Referential who has a fun blog and an online journal you guys might want to check out. Rose Hunter. Speaking of Referential. I need to finish updating a new contributor page. Finally received a nice influx of art work for my journal!
I’ve categorized the blog roll now into Lit Mags and blogs and I’ll try to keep updating it as people let me know of sites that should be added. Hope everyone has a terrific week and perhaps a book review is in order for tomorrow? Perhaps?